Happy New Year! 2017 was shitty, but at least I tried, and survived. I hope to be more present in 2018, and to start, I’ll list all the fascinating things I was introduced to during my 2 week trip to America, which makes me feel like I’ve been living under a rock in Japan.
1.Salted Cheese tea – Adds a bit of salty to your sweet boba-less tea drink
2. Blue Star Donuts – Not really impressed. Probably because I played it safe and just ordered the OG horchata donut, when I should have gotten the orange liquer infused creme brulee donut. A quick search shows that they opened a shop in Umeda in September of 2016, but has since closed. Figures. Japan is full of skinny people, and donuts are just gluttonous. And they know the value of their money.
3. Dutch Brothers – The office manager at work keeps referencing it whenever she talks about her time in America (Medford, Oregon), so I figured I’d go and see what all the fuss is about. They serve the creamiest and richest latte I’ve ever had. I went to one in AZ, and they seem to attract the young crowd.
4. Snappy Dressers – A card game, created by the makers of Uno. A super fun game with so many different ways to play.
5. Alexa and Google Assistant – Pretty nice tech! Understands me well enough!
I also satisfied my craving for graphic novels:
- Turning Japanese
- Kiss and Tell
- The Best We Could Do
- Saints (couldn’t find Boxers to complete the set)